Family Preparedness Plan

These forms create a package that allows for children to be temporarily cared for by another adult. It is revocable at any time. It is good for whatever reason they have been separated from their parents.

The plan and resources have been put together for educators to help support family preparedness in the event that a parent is unexpectedly unavailable. These documents come from clinics run by immigration law projects in the state and the Cornell Farmworker Program. The Cornell Farmworker Program and some of the immigration law projects will facilitate training for parents explaining the process and the use of each form. Lawyers from the law projects then provide individualized legal advice for completing the forms appropriate to each family’s needs. Migrant Educators can tell parents about these clinics or arrange one in their service area by calling a specific law project in their region, or the Cornell Farmworker Program which will coordinate a clinic anywhere in the state.

Cornell Farmworker Program, Department of Development Sociology
275H Warren Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853
Tel: (607) 254-5194
Fax: (607) 255-9710
Will organize a workshop anywhere in the state

Worker Justice Center, Kingston Office
9 Main St
Kingston, NY 12401
T: 845-331-6615
F: 845-331-6617
Clients may call toll-free at 1-800-905-9644
Will provide workshops in the downstate area

Legal Aid Society of Rochester
1 West Main St. Rm 800
Rochester, NY 14614
Will provide workshops in Western NY

People are encouraged to have all U.S. Citizen children apply for US passports.

  • Designation of Person in Parental Relationship (Bilingual): The New York State Office of Children and Family Services developed the Designation of Person in Parental Relation form. The English and Spanish versions were combined so that it is easier for people to understand what they are signing. This form allows the designated person to temporarily make parental decisions on behalf of the unavailable parent.
  • Emergency Planning Forms- Parental Permission for child to Travel: A form that gives a person permission to travel with minor children should a child need to be transported across a national border. This form was made by the Cornell Farmworker Program as additional component to a Family Preparedness Plan.
  • Bilingual Authorization to Pick Up Paycheck: A form that allows the designated person to pick up a pay check in the absence of the employee. This form was made by the Cornell Farmworker Program as an additional component to a Family Preparedness Plan.

If people own property or have significant financial transactions, a power of attorney is recommended for use during an unexpected absence. This information would be given at a workshop and a decision should be made in consultation with an attorney.

If you have a legal problem, please contact an attorney or advocate. These resources do not constitute legal advice.